Converting a traditional salt-based water softener to a salt-less system can provide an alternative solution for reducing hard water issues. In this DIY guide, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to convert a water softener by replacing the resin with SlowPhos, a salt-less water conditioning media.
- SlowPhos media (available online or at water treatment stores)
- Wrenches or pliers
- Garden hose
- Teflon tape
- Pipe cutter
- PVC pipe and fittings (if necessary)
- Plumbing tape
- Safety goggles
Step 1: Preparations
1. Ensure that the water softener is turned off and unplugged before starting the conversion process.
2. Close the water supply valve leading to the water softener to prevent water flow during the conversion.
Step 2: Remove the Resin
1. Locate the resin tank on the water softener system. It usually looks like a large cylinder or tank.
2. Using wrenches or pliers, carefully disconnect the inlet and outlet connectors from the resin tank.
3. Place a bucket underneath the tank to catch any residual water.
4. Unscrew the resin tank's lid and carefully remove the old resin, disposing of it properly.
Step 3: Install SlowPhos Media
1. Rinse the SlowPhos media thoroughly with water to remove any dust or debris.
2. Pour the SlowPhos media into the empty resin tank.
3. Securely screw the resin tank lid back in place, ensuring a tight seal.
Step 4: Reconnect the Water Softener
1. Reconnect the inlet and outlet connectors to the resin tank, ensuring a proper seal.
2. Use Teflon tape on the threads of the connectors for a watertight seal.
3. If necessary, replace any damaged or worn-out pipes or fittings with PVC pipe and fittings using a pipe cutter.
4. Apply plumbing tape to the threaded connections to prevent leaks.
Step 5: Check for Leaks
1. Turn on the water supply valve leading to the water softener.
2. Inspect all connections, including the inlet and outlet, for any leaks.
3. If leaks are detected, tighten or adjust the connections as needed.
Step 6: Flush the System
1. Allow water to flow through the water softener for a few minutes to flush out any loose SlowPhos media particles.
2. Monitor the water flow to ensure it is clear and free from any debris.
Step 7: Test and Adjust
1. Turn on a faucet connected to the water softener system and check if the water feels softer and shows signs of reduced hardness.
2. If necessary, adjust the SlowPhos media's dosage or consult the manufacturer's instructions to optimize the conditioning process.
By following these step-by-step instructions, you can convert your traditional salt-based water softener to a salt-less system using SlowPhos media. Enjoy the benefits of reduced hard water issues without the need for salt regeneration. Remember to regularly monitor and maintain your system for optimal performance.